The City of Somerville Parks and Recreation Department and Commission has adopted the following code of conduct as a result of its concern for good sportsmanship in cosponsoring youth activities. Youth sports/activities can be used as an opportunity for your child to learn how to engage in healthy competition while maintaining respect for their opponents.
All parties to athletic competitions should adhere to the highest standard of positive support for the contestants. By participating in the City of Somerville’s Youth Programs, all parties must abide by the Code of Conduct. Violations may result in the loss of privileges at city facilities/fields.
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my children and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or sporting event.
- I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player or parent. This conduct could include booing, taunting, refusing to shake hands, or using profane language or gestures.
- I will respect the officials and their authority. I will refrain from questioning, discussing or confronting coaches during the games, and will take time to speak with the officials or coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for the youths, not the adults.
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs and alcohol and will refrain from their use at all youth sports events.
- I realize that the purpose of my attendance is to observe a contest and support recreation activities, not a license to verbally assault others or be generally obnoxious.
- I will respect the athletic facility in which I am visiting and will not damage or deface park or school property.
I have read and understand the Code of Conduct and consent to abide by all listed terms.
Signature: _____________________________________________ Date: _________________
***This form will be signed when you register your child for an activity.