Somertime Day Program Summer 2013
Recreation Summer Youth Program under the direction of Mayor Joseph Curtatone was designed to create a structured, fun and safe environment for children in the City of Somerville during their summer school vacation. We are a Summer Youth Program, not a summer school.
- In addition to registering below please complete the Summer Youth Program Application listed below in its entirety and forward to Danielle Palazzo, Somerville Recreation, 19 Walnut Street Somerville, MA 02143
- This program will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Applications for those who were not one of the first to register for the program will remain on file. If a vacancy becomes available, the next applicant for the waiting list will be contacted.
- The Program Developer of the Recreation Department will oversee the day-to-day operation of the Summer Youth Program
- Children will be provided with a T-Shirt upon acceptance into the program and for safety purposed and are required to wear their T-shirt on a daily basis. Two T-Shirts will be given to your child if attending two weeks. Addition t-shirts will be available at the cost of $7.00 each. FOR GROUP SAFETY REASONS T-SHIRTS MUST BE WORN.
- Children are required to bring a swimsuit, towel, rubber thongs, hat, sunscreen and a water bottle everyday. It is recommended that children take a plastic bag to bring their wet swimsuit and towel and, if necessary, an extra change of clothes.
- It is also recommended that children bring an old shirt that they would be allowed to paint with during Arts & Crafts and Community Service projects.
- Please clearly mark all your child’s personal belongings with their full name and telephone number, including his or her backpack, and program T-shirts, using Permanent marker.
- Please download/read a copy of the handbook listed below for ALL information and policies.
RegistrationThe following must be attached to your application at time of drop off:
a. Copy of your child’s Birth Certificate
b. A recent photo of your child
c. Recent Physical (within one year) and list of immunizations from child’s doctor
d. Proof of residency, (copy of any bill sent to your Somerville Address
e. $25.00 Non refundable registration fee for each child for each week you are enrolling them for
Refund Policy-If your child leaves the Summer Youth Program, is removed or suspended, you will not be entitled to a refund for the remainder of that particular week.
- All children present the day of a field trip will be required to attend.
- If you wish not allow your child to attend the field trip, you will be asked to keep your child home for that day as all counselors will accompany children during field trips.
- Children will bring bag lunches, snacks, and water bottles.
- The Permission to attend Field Trips form in the application packet will serve as a universal permission slip and will grant permission for each child to attend all field trips unless otherwise indicated by the parent or guardian.
- If your child is on routine medication or testing, the parent/guardian, or their designee, will be required to attend the field trip, at their own expense, to supervise or administer the medication or testing.
- All children must be picked up Promptly at 4:30pm at the West Somerville Neighborhood School.
- Hours of operation are 8:30am to 4:30pm only. If you are later than 4:45pm you will be charged an additional $10.00 late fee. If this occurs more than 3 times throughout the summer, you child will be removed from the program.
- Any child who is picked up late on more than 2 days will be subject to review by the Recreation Dept. Continuous abuse of late pick-up may result in the child’s termination from the program.
- If your child is age 12 or 13, you may indicate on your Authorization to Release Child Consent form that your child has permission to leave the program without a parent or guardian. We strongly encourage parents/guardians of these children to make arrangements for their child to walk home in a group with other children.
- It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian to insure that his or her child has arrived at the program safely and has arrived home safely.